What is Maker?
Maker is the system responsible for making DAI stable through “collateralized debt position” (CDPs) smart contracts on the Ethereum. MKR is an ERC-20 token created in response to insufficient collateral to back for DAI CDPs.
DAI is created through loan contracts which use Ether as a collateral. MKR Holders are responsible for regulating the collateralized rate making DAI consistently worth $1 and are rewarded for doing it; CDPs include a fee which is paid using MKR that is always burned, evating MKR's value.
CDPs are automatically liquidated in case Ether drops to a price such that their collateral (ETH) drops below a given value that is not enough to finance the amount of DAI loaned. If the liquidated volume recovered isn't enough to cover for the corresponding DAI volume loaned, the Maker system automatically creates new MKR tokens which are sold in open markets ensuring a positive balance. This mechanism incentives MKR holders to make rational decisions when voting for collateralized rates.
MakerDAO, the group responsible for Maker, also run a decentralized exchange called OasisDEX.
- Historical Data
- 3 reasons Bitcoin suddenly dropped 3% in 1 hour and recoveredCointelegraph.com News - 1 hour agoThe price of Bitcoin abruptly dropped over 3% in under an hour after surging to $13,350, but its high time frame log charts remain highly…
- Bitcoin breaking through $12K is huge but don't expect higher prices before 2021Cointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoBitcoin price may now see sideways action for a few months after breaking through crucial multi-year resistance at $12,000. The previous week has been tremendous…
- Corporate disclosure is the only way to get crypto institutionalizedCointelegraph.com News - 5 hours agoDisclosure best practices need to be adopted as their lack is holding the industry back. Some people predicted that crypto assets were going to be…
- Gold ‘breaking down’ against Bitcoin is highly bullish for BTC — AnalystCointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoReal Vision Group CEO Raoul Pal says gold is “breaking down” against Bitcoin, a signal that the bullish case for BTC continues to strengthen. Earlier…
- China's central bank lays regulatory foundation for CBDCCointelegraph.com News - 16 hours agoThe new draft law legitimizes digital yuan and may criminalize the issuance of yuan-backed stablecoins by third parties China’s central bank, the People’s Bank of…