What is Ethereum Classic?
Ethereum Classic is a distributed computing platform featuring smart contract functionality. It is open-source and blockchain-based. It features the complete history of the original Ethereum network.
Ethereum Classic is the result of a hard fork with Ethereum. A hard fork occurs when two divergent paths forward coexist due to a radical change in protocol. In June 2016, a hacker compromised Ethereum, which resulted in a theft of 50 million dollars worth of Ether. To return the stolen funds, the Ethereum Foundation created a new version of the Ethereum main net with the records of the theft deleted.
Many users opposed this decision. On July 15, 2016, they held a vote regarding the decentralized autonomous organization hard fork. There was a voter turnout of only 5.5 percent. Despite that, the motion passed with 87 percent in favor of the fork and 13 percent opposed. The vote was controversial because it was called in a very last-minute fashion. Regardless, they moved forward with the fork, resulting in two Ethereum networks. One was the new one, branded Ethereum, which contained the altered history. The other became known as Ethereum Classic and contained the unaltered history of the original Ethereum.
The native currency of Ethereum Classic is the Ether (ETC). The supply of tokens is one place Ethereum Classic differs from Ethereum. In December 2017, users of Ethereum Classic voted to cap the supply of ETC tokens. Ethereum, on the other hand, has never done so. The total available maximum supply is 210,700,000 ETC. The current total supply is 116,313,299 ETC, with 100 percent of that number currently in circulation.
There are three ways to get ETC. The first and easiest is to buy them. They are available on a wide range of exchanges. The second is to mine them by allocating computer resources to support the network. Finally, they can be earned by exchanging goods or services.
What are Ethereum Classic Frequenty Asked Questions?
Where does Ethereum Classic (ETC) rank among in terms of popularity? How relevant is it compared to competitors?
In terms of popularity, Ethereum Classic currently ranks in position 39 out of the thousands of cryptocurrencies. It is also important to consider Ethereum Classic‘s market cap – in general, the higher the market cap of a cryptocurrency, the more dominant it is considered to be in the market. Ethereum Classic has a market cap of $ 5,129,612,218, which compares to Bitcoin (the most popular cryptocurrency by several metrics) with a market cap of $ 924,041,257,645, Litecoin at $ 11,057,883,203, Ethereum at $ 487,376,919,905, Tether at $ 75,011,741,395, and XRP at $ 39,427,223,910.
What is the price of Ethereum Classic (ETC) today (updated in realtime)?
The current price of Ethereum Classic is $ 38.62 in USD. (The price in Euros is 34,20 €; and the price in Bitcoin is Ƀ 0.00079349 BTC.)
What is Ethereum Classic‘s (ETC) market supply?
The total available supply of Ethereum Classic is 131,425,578 ETC. The total supply of Ethereum Classic is 210,700,000 ETC.
What is the 24 hour volume for Ethereum Classic (ETC)?
The 24 hour volume for Ethereum Classic is $ 2,066,708,782.
How has Ethereum Classic (ETC) performed recently?
Ethereum Classic‘s price has decreased in the last 24 hours by -12.15%. This compares with a seven day change of -17.17%. The trading volume over the last 24 hours was $ 2,066,708,782. Trading volume indicates how many units of a currency are being bought and sold on specific exchanges. High trading volumes are likely to drive more on-chain activity, for example when people deposit and withdraw funds. It can be a good indicator of the general interest in the cryptocurrency.
What is Ethereum Classic (ETC) official website?
Links to Ethereum Classic‘s official website, social accounts, blockchain explorer, and Github repository if applicable.
Has Ethereum Classic (ETC) performed well historically?
Here is a chart showing how Ethereum Classic has performed historically.
Where Can I Buy Ethereum Classic (ETC)?
Here is a breakdown of the current market prices from top cryptocurrency exchanges.
Charts & Market Data
Ethereum Classic News
- Gold, Bitcoin or DeFi: How can investors hedge against inflation?Cointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoOver the last 10 years, Bitcoin has been through 20 different bear markets. Is it finally starting to prove itself? Bitcoin (BTC) was created in…
- Ethereum acts as a 'hedge' in Bitcoin price crash as ETH/BTC hits 3-year highCointelegraph.com News - 11 hours agoThe second-largest cryptocurrency posts dwarfed losses compared to Bitcoin’s 21% price decline Saturday. Ethereum’s native token Ether (ETH) plunged alongside other cryptocurrencies on Dec. 4.…
- Without staking, institutional crypto investors cannot escape inflationCointelegraph.com News - 13 hours agoIf institutional investment is going to drive the growth of PoS token markets, it will need to participate in networks in addition to owning them.…
- 2021 ends with a question: Are NFTs here to stay?Cointelegraph.com News - 15 hours agoNFTs are the biggest disrupter in art this year, with artists minting, exhibiting and auctioning, and investors buying, selling and trading. In her monthly Expert…
- Bitcoin could 'consolidate until 2022' after mass wipeout sends BTC price to $41KCointelegraph.com News - 16 hours ago$2.5 billion liquidated across cryptocurrency in a mass rout which sends Bitcoin price action back to the end of September. Bitcoin (BTC) traded near $47,000…