What is Dogecoin?
Dogecoin is a fun meme coin that was launched on December 6, 2013. The coin is a decentralized peer-to-peer currency that tried mimicking the popular Bitcoin, but in an an effort to surpass Bitcoin's popularity. Doge features a cartoon Japanese character Shiba Inu, that acts as the coin's mascot. The intention of this mascot is to show the fun part that this coin was intended to be.
Dogecoin's developer Billy Markus based this coin's code on Lucky coin, that is based on another coin called tecoin. Litecoin uses the scrypt technology in its proof-of-work consensus mechanism preventing dedicated Bitcoin miners from mining. It is for this reason that Dogecoin was at least originally effectively mined with ordinary PCs instead of the dedicated miners.
While it was introduced as a fun coin, Dogecoin's community has since grown by a lot. It is now mainly used to tip social media users who contribute great and interesting content on various platforms. Instead of simply liking their content, the contributors get rewards in form of Dogecoins. It is also frequently used for raising funds for charity events, eg. in the case of the construction of a well in the Tana river delta in Kenya.
Apart from Billy Markus, who came up with the original idea, another key individual in the coin's development is Jackson Palmer of Adobe Systems. It is Palmer who took over this project and propelled it to its current status.
- Historical Data
- 3 reasons Bitcoin suddenly dropped 3% in 1 hour and recoveredCointelegraph.com News - 8 hours agoThe price of Bitcoin abruptly dropped over 3% in under an hour after surging to $13,350, but its high time frame log charts remain highly…
- Bitcoin breaking through $12K is huge but don't expect higher prices before 2021Cointelegraph.com News - 10 hours agoBitcoin price may now see sideways action for a few months after breaking through crucial multi-year resistance at $12,000. The previous week has been tremendous…
- Corporate disclosure is the only way to get crypto institutionalizedCointelegraph.com News - 12 hours agoDisclosure best practices need to be adopted as their lack is holding the industry back. Some people predicted that crypto assets were going to be…
- Gold ‘breaking down’ against Bitcoin is highly bullish for BTC — AnalystCointelegraph.com News - 18 hours agoReal Vision Group CEO Raoul Pal says gold is “breaking down” against Bitcoin, a signal that the bullish case for BTC continues to strengthen. Earlier…
- China's central bank lays regulatory foundation for CBDCCointelegraph.com News - 23 hours agoThe new draft law legitimizes digital yuan and may criminalize the issuance of yuan-backed stablecoins by third parties China’s central bank, the People’s Bank of…