What is Cardano?
ADA is a crypto coin running on Cardano Settlement Layer (CSL) blockchain, the first and most secure blockchain based on Proof of stake mechanism validating the transactions. Cardano team calls their proof of stake mechanism Ouroboros. Unlike Proof of Work, where miners invest energy intensive computing power to mine each block, proof of stake chooses a random miner based on the size of the stake (value). In order to generate or mint a new block, a slot leader is chosen with a probability proportional to the amount of coins this node is carrying. So one of ADA's advantages over Bitcoin, Ethereum and other similar cryptocurrencies is its energy-efficient proof of stake transaction validation system. ADA is flexible like Ethereum due to a second layer Cardano Computational Layer (CCL) which supports decentralized applications and smart contracts.
ADA was initially created by Input Output Hong Kong (IOHK), a blockchain development firm. The project was led by Charles Hoskinson who was a former co-founder of Ethereum, Etereum classic and Bitshares. Presently the ADA team consist of three organizations i.e. Cardano foundation, IOHK, and Emurgo.
The major use of Cardano is the transfer of value. Future development of applications on CCL layer can provide the easy and economical payment solution to service providers such as Uber, Upwork, and alike.
- Historical Data
- Former Visa exec joins Crypto.com to drive Latin American marketCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoTraditional finance execs are increasingly moving into crypto positions. The cryptocurrency industry welcomes another high-profile executive from traditional finance.Filomena Ruffa, a former vice president of…
- Malaysian Securities Commission issues revised digital asset guidelinesCointelegraph.com News - 2 hours agoRegulation for initial exchange offerings and digital asset custodians comes into force today. The Securities Commission Malaysia has issued revised guidelines governing digital assets, effective…
- Bitcoin price drops to $13.3K after matching peak of 2019 bull runCointelegraph.com News - 3 hours agoBriefly challenging $14,000 produced major volatility for BTC/USD, which subsequently retreated by over $500 in hours. Bitcoin (BTC) retreated to $13,300 on Oct. 28 after…
- Unconfirmed transactions on Bitcoin network at highest level since 2017Cointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoHash rate has also tumbled on the Bitcoin network. The Bitcoin network has slowed down amid Bitcoin’s (BTC) new price highs, causing a large number…
- Telos launches new gig economy platform on the blockchainCointelegraph.com News - 4 hours agoAmid a global employment crisis, it’s perhaps inevitable that the gig economy is making inroads into the blockchain space too. Blockchain developers can’t be accused…